Experts from Acosta have compiled their top CPG predictions for 2021, which include an unceasing emphasis on health and safety, accelerated advances in e-commerce, inspirational in-store shopping experiences, efficiencies with fulfillment and consolidation and partnerships with retailers and manufacturers. Food and beverage brands looking to introduce new products to the market should consider the following five categories driving consumer purchasing habits and retai success:
Health, well-being and safety are No. 1
- Store employee and shopper safety come first.
- Increased focus on personal health and self-care.
- Shoppers demand full transparency.
- Increase in plant-based alternatives.
Technology activation accelerates
- Increased role of e-commerce with seamless integration of brick-and-mortar stores and their digital platforms.
- Mobile-driven store designs and real-time, personalized shopper solutions.
- Auto-replenishment via online subscriptions.
- Smart home integration with shopping.
Inspirational in-store shopping experiences
- Focus on in-store shopper services and meal solutions.
- Blurring of food at-home and away-from-home channels.
- Self-serve food options in store are reinvented.
- Personalized offerings become the norm.
Fulfillment efficiencies increase
- Supply chain is revitalized.
- Backroom, dark store fulfillment rise to meet demand.
- Autonomous delivery forges ahead.
- Post-COVID focus on the four Ps: product, price, promotion and place.
More consolidation and partnerships
- Last-mile delivery options expand.
- Unique offerings for in-store services.
- Retailer and manufacturer mergers and acquisitions.