FONA’s portfolio is highly complementary to McCormick’s and will provide customers with an even more comprehensive product offering to meet the growing demand for clean and flavorful eating, drinking and nutrition experiences.
Commenting on the deal, Lawrence E. Kurzius, Chairman, President and CEO, said: “The acquisition of FONA reinforces McCormick’s global growth strategy as FONA expands the breadth of our flavor solutions segment into attractive categories, as well as extends our technology platform and strengthens our capabilities. This acquisition also accelerates the strategic migration of our portfolio to more value-added and technically insulated products and thus, is expected to be accretive to gross margin.”
FONA’s annual sales are approximately US$114 million and are expected to grow at a mid-to high-single- digit rate. Founded more than 30 years ago, FONA is a leading independent manufacturer of flavors, with a focus on nutritional and natural products and a well-recognized brand that McCormick plans to retain. The business is headquartered in Illinois and has approximately 220 employees with a state-of-the art manufacturing and technical innovation center.
McCormick anticipates the acquisition of FONA will drive long-term shareholder value
- Broadens product offering and accelerates flavor growth: FONA’s diverse portfolio of flavors, including flavors for health and performance nutrition applications, broadens McCormick’s value-add offerings with products that are highly complementary to its existing portfolio. By combining the portfolios and infrastructures, McCormick adds manufacturing capacity as well as greater scale and expects to accelerate its global flavor growth.
- Expands capabilities and technology platform: McCormick is augmenting its capabilities with FONA’s experienced research and development team and extending its technology platform with additional proprietary encapsulation methods. These expand McCormick’s innovation capabilities, particularly with the added expertise in flavoring health and performance nutrition products across a variety of applications. FONA’s strong market position in this area advances McCormick's health and wellness portfolio.
- Strengthens clean and natural leadership: McCormick’s clean and natural platform is meaningfully enhanced with the addition of FONA’s predominantly natural portfolio. McCormick is increasing its talent bench strength further enabling better-for-you flavor product development wins and strengthening its clean and natural leadership position.
- Enhances customer intimacy and partnerships: The combination of McCormick and FONA’s complementary global and mid-tier customers, insight capabilities and customer intimacy approaches, enhances McCormick’s customer value proposition. The company is well positioned to reach a broader customer base, deepen existing customer relationships by cross-selling and establish inroads with new customers while driving innovation.
- Accretive to gross margin: The addition of FONA’s business is expected to be accretive to McCormick’s gross margin. The company also anticipates driving further margin expansion by achieving robust sales growth and further migrating the Flavor Solutions portfolio to more value-added and technically insulated products. McCormick also expects the transaction to be neutral to adjusted earnings per share in 2021 and accretive in 2022, excluding transaction and integration costs.