In honor of National Macadamia Nut Month, Food & Beverage Insider is highlighting some neat factoids from the World Macadamia Organisation (WMO). The international nonprofit represents macadamia-growing countries and is dedicated to educating consumers about these versatile nuts.
Did you know?
- Macadamias are diabetes friendly (Nutrients. 2017;9:1271). The carbohydrate count is only 4 g per 28 to 30 g serving.
- The WMO offers a brand partnership program—which is free to macadamia brands and retailers in North America—to build category awareness.
- Macadamia oil boasts an excellent fat profile and a high smoking point (Agro Food Ind Hi Tech. 2018;29:18-20).
- Beyond the use of macadamia nuts in foods, macadamia oil is popular in beauty products such as lotions, cosmetics and hair products. That, of course, lends to consumer recognition.
- Formulations are endless, and for nutrition-rich macadamia recipes, visit LoveMacadamia.org.
Check out previous posts in the series to learn more about macadamia nuts:
- Celebrating Macadamia Nut Month
- Macadamias: Sustainable and keto friendly
- Macadamias: Chock-full of health fats
Heather Carter is the associate editor of Food & Beverage Insider at Informa Markets. She has worked in trade publishing for nearly a decade, covering a variety of topics, from tile to bedding. Reach her at [email protected].